Monday, November 22, 2021

Lunch with Boris

I headed into the office at lunch time. I rode my bike in. I try to ride my bike everywhere now a days. (my two cars are just sitting there gathering cobwebs and dust) There was no one in the city, the CBD is dead. No, really it was. I thought it was some kind of exaggeration but it is true, the city really is deserted.

I could've fired a gun down Collins Street, no, not a gun (we don't want to encourage the gum nuts), a laser, I could've fired a laser, pointer, down Collins Street and not hit anybody, that's how deserted it was.

Only Boris and the Big Pooh Bah were in our office. (I only call him that for the benefit of this blog, I don't really call him anything like that at all, he's really easy going) I chatted to him for a bit, telling him that I didn't want to come back to the office, he pretty well agreed that I didn't have to. Woo Hoo.

"Well, you live close by, we can always call you in."

"I got here in 10 minutes on my bike today," I said. "And that was stopping to buy a muffin on the way too."

He told me to be careful riding my bike in the city. He said he'd see me at the Xmas party in a few weeks.

So much for stressing about going back to the office.

I told Boris what Tony had said, as she has been stressing about it. Apparently, she thought he said we had to start spending 50% of our time in the office. It wasn't the impression I got. 

Boris said the company was in real trouble, as are all the other countries to, I presume, as nobody wants to come back to the office. The workers have had a taste of the good life and they don't want to lose it.


Boris and I went out for lunch and we had to search for a place at which to eat, as all the usual places have closed down. Too bad really, but none of us want to go back, so I guess it means the businesses will just have to relocated to where the people are over time. That's how the world works. No use feeling sorry for them. (maybe they shouldn't have cut worker's over time and people might feel more empathy?)

Boris and I chatted away, we ate and drank coffee. We haven't seen each other since March 2020. That is quite a while, hey?

I chose a calamari salad thinking it would be healthy, but when it came the calamari was crumbed and deep fried, oh well. It was nice though.


Boris told me that the people in her ethnic group seem to be anti mask and anti vaccine and anti lock down. She said how she had to piped up on their WhatsApp group that she was vaccinated, after which a few people thanked her and some of them even went and got vaccinated themselves. She said that just amp each other up with miss information. So, we chatted about the new pandemic laws because she wants to set some of the people straight on those too. She said that how I explained the legislation wasn’t at all like the information being spread around amongst her friends.

 

She told me her oldest son who works in construction went and protested against mandatory vaccines for the construction industry. She said there he was in amongst it all protesting in the street in hi viz.

“But darling,” she said. “You are double vaccinated.”

“So, what does that have to do with it mum,” he son said.

“Well, you probably should keep that to yourself if you go and protest again,” she said.

I’m not at all sure people know what they are protesting about, she said. I think they just want to protest.


No comments: