Monday, December 06, 2021

Watching Gay Movies

I've only been watching gay movies lately, I know I probably shouldn't. I mean, it's not that I shouldn't, gay movies are great, but at the expense of otherly orientated movies, I am sure I am missing out on other good things.

Good Bye Mother, a Vietnamese love story, comedy really. Esteros, an Argentinian, straight gay tension love story, a favourite theme of mine. Taboos of a sort, I love taboos. It makes you wish you were their age again. Get Real, an English school boy drama/comedy, almost a bit too twinky for me, but I enjoyed it anyway. Cut Snake, Australian, full on, drama, captivating. 

The league of nations of movies. 

I'd just have to throw in an Italian movie and I'd have my favourite countries. Well, kind of. (I must do some research for a gay Italian movie, something set in Tuscany with grape vines and Fiat 500s, and sunshine, of course.)

So, I watched Euphoria about two Italian brothers Matteo, gay, successful entrepreneur, open-minded, charming and dynamic and his brother Ettore, straight, who still lives in the small provincial town where they were born. Ettore’s negative medical diagnosis gives the two distant brothers the opportunity to get to know each other better.

 

You know, they are kind of comforting, gay movies. You’d think I’d have grown passed wanting to see people like me, but do we ever? I don't know if it is familiar territory, or that sense of identity, maybe a shared identity, it doesn't really matter. It is nice, though.

You know, this is the best era, despite the proliferation of stupid people, and the politically corrupt, and the religiously handicapped, trying to stop it, becoming freer and more progressive as the years pass. You wouldn’t want to have grown up gay in any other era, seriously

 

I've also been watching The Power Of The Dog? Five stars. Best thing Benedict Cumberbatch has done, so they say. Well? Grimace. I’m waiting for it to get good? I have watched it late and have turned it off several times and gone to bed. David says I needed to watch it right the way through without breaking the tension. Maybe, I need to start again from the beginning. It won awards at Cannes. I don’t see it as award winning. Perhaps for cinematography, I could see that.

It doesn’t help that Sam declared it a piece of shit not long into it and put his head phones in his ears and started looking at stuff on his iPad, you know, as far as starting it again, that is.


No comments: