Saturday, March 29, 2008

Saturday Night

"Take me out. Show me the big city," said Titania. "Introduce me to friends."

"Sure," said Christopher. "I'm supposed to be heading out with Warren and Jimmy. "You can come too."

"Varren? Jimmy?"

"My best mates," said Christopher. "We went to school together. I think they are..."

"There are vhat?" asked Titania.

I think they are... you know... " Jimmy made pelvic motions.

"Gay?" said Titania.

"Just now, may be, getting together before my eyes," said Christopher. "They think I don't know, I'm sure."

Christopher noticed for the first time how beautiful Titiana was. Willowy blond, fine bones, petite. She had a sharp angular face that soften when she laughed. Long, sandy blond hair that glistened in the breeze.

She was very serious. Only spoke at a minimum. Gazed long and inquiringly. He face rested naturally in a blank expression, as though she was taking every thing in.

And then she'd smile and she was beautiful again.

"Vhat you take before... go out?" asked Titiana.

"What?" said Christopher. He'd been agonising over shocking Titiana going out on the party scene. He thought it would all be new to her.

"Pill? Powder? said Titiana clearly. She laughed. "I learned pill? powder? when I go out in London."

"You've been to London?"

"I study there?"

"You're not a refugee?"

"NO!" To this she sounded shocked. "I'm a lawyer."

"You take drugs in Russia?"

"Ve take many drugs in Russia, we have to," she said. She sighed and the life drained out of her face. "Vhat else to do?"

"Wow," said Christopher, a weight had been taken off his shoulders.

"Sure I take them in London," she smiled, "first," she said. "But, I find them Russia too. Moscow not so different."

"I thought you were a poor artist, you met Anna through painting..."

"I meet Anna in Moscow night club doing cocaine off toilet seat."

 

No comments: