Monday, March 31, 2008

You know, not so keen. The main actors, actor, Tim, was good. John was good too, a little wooden in places. All the other cast members, played multiple characters and it was as if in the differentiation of those characters, they overplayed most of them. Annoyingly so.

Girl's played boys in sexual scenes, in a gay play? I'm sorry, but that never works for me. They played them for laughs, okay, sure, but the subtext was serious, Tim's promiscuity and his and John's fate. It didn't ring true, it took me out of the story and dumped me back in a dark theatre.

Some thing good to say about it... you did get a sense of the depth of Tim and John's relationship. So that was nicely played, by both of the main actors.

It's not a bad play, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be sold out. (Unless, of course, all Melbourne Theatre Company plays are all sold out. I don't know?) The good bits were good, but the bad bits were jarring.

I know it's all about marketing and branding, if you like, now a days, but maybe not everything has to have the last drop of blood drained from it.

If you want to meet John and Tim, read the book.


No comments: