Friday, January 29, 2010

Sometimes I Have the Technical Capability of a Gnat

My computer speakers haven't been working for months now. I'd checked all the wires, connections, plugs, blue, green, white, check, check, check, but nothing seemed out of order. (Missy is sitting under my chair licking my feet as I type, I love it when she does that, that sand papery tongue on my skin, sends a chill up my spine.) But, I'm sure I heard them go zap, or bang, or pop, or criccckkk, or shhhhhhh, or something, (the speakers, not the cat) so I figured they were cactus and needed to be replaced. I've just been slack about getting around to doing it. I've been swapping to my lap-top if I wanted sound. But today, after taking my mum out to lunch, taking her shopping and then weeding her garden for a couple of hours, until my hands hurt and I couldn't pull the god damn weeds any longer, (pussy, no I wouldn't say I was a pussy) I decided I could go and do just that.

And I did.

I got home, ripped out the old speakers, installed the new ones and whacked on a favourite website to listen to its glorious dulcet tones and nothing.

Crap!

Grrr! What could it be? Don't tell me I'm going to have to take the whole thing into the shop, being the techno dunce that I am. In desperation, I checked the volume of my computer to find that it was set on mute.

Mute!

Double crap!

Click the box and la, la, la... sound.

Does that mean? I slid under the desk and pulled out the new speaker cable, pushed the old speakers across with my foot and plugged in their cable and la, la, la, they work just fine.

All this time, when I thought my speakers were rat shit, my computer was on mute.

Idiot!

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When you buy a computer the price you paid is just a deposit for the extra money you will fork out over its lifetime. In the IT world there are always accessories, plugs, cables and covers that create ever more points of failure in a device. It's all part of a conspiracy to extract money from you and keep the economy pumping.

Bold oy! said...

Ha ha ha - I'm not the only idiot!