Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sam's Painting

I saw a friend recently, who I haven't seen for a while, not for any reason just busy lives and together we lamented the lack of maintenance we have exercised over our houses of late. We shared leaking roof stories. So, in all of this torrential rain, in the last few days, my friend’s words have come into my head, as I hurriedly emptied the back gutters to cope with the down pour, and I joyously watched as the lounge room roof didn’t drip, as it had. I thanked the universe for Mark, who cleaned my back yard from top to bottom, just last New Year’s day. He unblocked the now tested drain that takes the water away from the back yard.

I’ve got to say, I’ve enjoyed all the rain, in the middle of the otherwise thirty five degree days, though.

How things change in short span of time. Right at this present moment, Shane and I have both been dumped. Mine is only an argument, a spat, but it makes you think, think about one rather than two.

Sam wanted me to paint his newly installed windows, he’s had all the rotten ones replaced. I have to admit, I had my I-don’t-want-to-do-it face on, as the number of windows went from four to ten, in a matter moments. I know that. But, just because I didn’t look happy about it, didn’t mean I was going to do it. I only suggested he got a painter, who'd do it in half the time it would take us.

He said he was going. I didn’t stop him.

I’ve never been really good with boyfriends who are obviously cross and who they say they are leaving. My natural thought, has always been, Well, if you are going to get in a shitty mood, you might as well go and do it away from me, somewhere else.

That’s always how I’ve always felt.


I know, I know, suck up to them, pat them, make them feel good, tell them you are sorry. I know what I should be doing.

I’m sure it is something lacking in me.


No comments: