Monday, January 24, 2011

Lovely!

We headed to Victoria Street for American style pork ribs cooked in a Vietnamese way, Sunday night. Sam is a foodie and I’m not, as much. He so often says to me, 

“As long as you are not hungry, huh?”

“Of course.”

“What about the joy of food?”

“Joy, smoy.”

He throws his hands in the air. But, I do eat great food with him.

 Only to discover the Chinese New Year Festival in full swing. I suggested we leave because we’d never be able to find a car park. All the streets were cut off there were cars all over the place, heading in every direction.

“Chinese New Year,” said Sam.

The next moment, I decided I shouldn’t give in so easily, I shouldn’t be such a terrible quitter, and the very next thing, a young, valley girl as it turned out, who was walking next to the car, who heard me talking about finding a car park through the open window said,

“You can follow me, if you like. I’m parked just along here somewhere, if I could only remember where I parked it.” Girlish smile. “It’s just here somewhere.”

Wouldn’t David cream his fisherman’s pants over that one? They ask the universe kind of thing, not the girl.


We ate everything we liked the look of, at the side of the road stalls, as we headed east down Victoria Street. There were people everywhere, in some places too, too many to get through comfortably, but only a few.

Fried coconut pancakes, chilli and honey dried pork, sweet pancakes with shrimp, corn with butter, cane sugar juice, fried taro cake and finally the illusive curly Korean potato, hot and spicy – which wasn’t, really, worth the wait.

There were carnival rides and live music.

We bought hot pork rolls home for dinner.


We watched “Australia” when we got back, I’d never seen it. Nicole, Nicole, Nicole! We smoked pot, it helped. Sam didn’t, he wanted to be clear-headed tomorrow, he’s got a presentation to give which is streamed back live to his head office in Shanghai. So, of course, you can’t smoke pot the night before.

I sat up and wrote my journal, Sam went to bed... like an old married couple.

Lovely!

 

2 comments:

Oliver said...

Aw.

Gabriel said...

when is the wedding? nice.