Friday, January 07, 2011

Anthony

I got a letter from my long lost friend, Anthony, just like that, out of the blue, today. We haven't seen each other in eight years, he just kind of faded out of my life. I am so please, I can't begin to tell you how.

He was my first boyfriend, when I first came out into gay world. My first baby-steps attempt at gaydom. We were young pups together, holding hands tentatively, as we went out into the world together as one, dancing under the lights, like bunnies caught in the headlights.

It was a glorious six months and then we headed off in our own directions, heads spinning. Too naive to know what we wanted.

Eventually, we became friends again, when we were both in new relationships. He became one of my group of friends and we partied together with much gusto.

He just “got” me, and I loved that about him. We “got” each other.

Now children, when you hear “them” say that substances can lead to mental issues, it is, of course, true for a small percentage of people. Unfortunately, it was true for Anthony. And about eight, or so, years ago the world closed in on him and he drifted away. And I haven’t seen him since.

He and Tom were my very best friends and I lost them both. So, you can understand when I say that I'm just a bit pleased.

We'll see. He tells me he's been through hell. He says he's not ready to meet, yet. It's back to baby steps, I guess. 


No comments: