Monday, July 15, 2013

Bad Things Happen When Good People Do Nothing

Antibiotics are amazing, aren't they. Buddy had a huge weeping lump inside his cheek on Saturday night. I only had to touch it, initially, and it oozed blood and puss. Today, he has a small lump with, what looks like, a small nick inside his cheek. It is no longer angry and red, but almost a simple hue of pink.

I pat his sweet head and shudder, and think of how bad it could have been. Can you imagine what damage that dog could have done to him?

That brings me to a point made by the vet. "It is probably still worth reporting it to the Yarra City Council, the dog may well be already known to them."

"But I really don't have any details to give them. I can't even really remember what the guy looked like."

"It doesn't matter, give them the details you have," said the vet. "You never know." It may help to get this beast off the streets.

So, should I call the Yarra Council and report it?

What is it that they say, Bad things happen when good people do nothing?

If that dog attacked Buddy unprovoked and without warning, then it is quite possible it will do it again. I am assuming from the owners idiotic reaction about vicious dogs and the need for muzzles - despite him directing the tirade towards Buddy - that they are the words that have been used about his dog, so I am guessing that his dog has been in some sort of trouble already.

There are a lot of dogs that are walked along Gertrude Street. On the weekend I noted seeing a cocker spaniel, two Maltese's, a pug and a smaller black curly-haird dog. Buddy, being a bulldog, he is quite a strong, tough dog, he didn't yelp or make a noise and he just kept bulldozing on, as if nothing had happened. These other 4 dogs, I mention, would have their heads bitten off... probably literally... and it would be awful. Let me repeat that, I guess mostly for myself, it would be awful.

But, it is true, I have hardly any details to give the council. The guy was probably in his mid thirties, but I am not really sure. His behaviour was so over the top that I was, I am sure, quite shocked and I can barely picture him. (I just messaged Sam and asked him and he said some where around 50, probably older. A toothless mole, Sam added, so there you go) His dog was a beautiful looking specimen of a dog, to be honest. It was a honey brown colour, it may have had some darker contrasting bits, but then again, maybe not. It all happened so fast and unexpectedly. It looked to me like an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier, at the time, as my stepson once had a pitbull and this dog was bigger than my stepson's dog. Although, my stepson’s dog may have been crossed with an English Staffy, which would have made it smaller, I can’t really remember now. When I came home and googled it, facially, it looked more like a pitbull than anything else. I think the guy lives in the Atherton Flats, but that is only an assumption based on 2 scant facts. Firstly, that is where he appeared to becoming from. When I first saw him on the night of the attack he seemed to be entering Gertrude Street kind of diagonally from Napier. And I think I have seen him before with the dog, I am not sure how long ago, down Napier Street opposite the commission flats.

So, who thinks there are enough facts there to make a report to the Yarra Council?


2 comments:

Adaptive Radiation said...

The black curly haired dog could well have been mine given that Nathan and I were walking along Gertrude with Truffles on the weekend. I shudder to think what would have happened if my dog had seen the "pitbull" (especially as she is still too young to read other dogs' emotions making it more likely that she would approach a vicious dog).

FletcherBeaver said...

It may well have been. I don't really remember who was walking the before mentioned dogs. I have to say that I was nervously looking at the dogs as I was nervously reliving the trouble we had. i would advise crossing the road, if you saw a dog that may be a pitbull