Sunday, July 21, 2013

Stumbling Through The Dark

I dreamt last night that I was walking down a dark country lane to a block of land trying to find my car. It was very dark and I couldn’t see a thing. It was black in front of my eyes and I was stumbling and tripping. Once I had found the car, I looked back in the direction from where I’d come from and it was somewhat light and I could see. It was like “shot” material, if I looked one way I could see, if I looked the other way I couldn’t. 

I was sitting in the passenger seat of my Cooper S, with all sorts of bags and stuff around me, looking through things, when a couple turned up out of nowhere – they were in the direction that was light to me, so I could see. They said they just needed to use a phone and could they please use my phone. 

There was something suspicious about this couple, I felt they were lying to me, or were up to no good, as they hovered at my car window. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t have a phone,” I said. All the time I was hoping that my phone wasn’t in view on the seat somewhere.

They asked where I lived and if they could use my home phone, and I pointed to the top of the nearby hill and said that I lived all the way up there. We all looked and there appeared to be a TV station on top of, what looked like, Mount Macedon, which was my home. 

Then suddenly Sarah-Jane, my deaf cousin – who I haven’t seen for years – got in the driver’s seat. She started the car and started to back it out of the place it was parked, there were bushes in front of it, as though I wasn’t in the car at all. She was smiling broadly. Then she drove us away, leaving the couple behind open mouthed. I protested about her driving us away, but she couldn’t hear, of course, as she is deaf. 

As we drove down the road, there were strapping special operations police officers in bulletproof jackets running along the road, checking tents that were set up alongside the road. Big square white tents one after the other. 

I kept protesting to Sarah-Jane, but not only could she not hear me, she seemed to have iPod ear phones in her ears. 

We drove down the road with the tents, which seemed to disappear as we passed each of them. 

Then I started talking to Sarah-Jane so she could lip read, like I always did when we were kids together, she told me we were going for a drive. 

We pulled up outside, what looked like an English pub, which had kind of a bitumen semi circular car park in front of it, which joined onto the road. Sarah-Jane got out of the car and walked away, leaving me sitting in the car outside the two story Victorian building.

 

No comments: