Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Plan? My Arse!




Melinda, at work, was espousing her worldview. As she is want to do. Very definite in her ideas, is Melinda. She has one of those nasally accents, to go with it. She's loud. Opinionated, nasally and loud, that is what we are talking about.



“Everything happens for a reason and there is a reason for everything," she said. "Don't you agree, Christian?"

“No, sorry, I don’t agree. Not at all! Life is a collection of random events,” I said. “Of course, you can influence your life with your choices, good choices and bad choices, but essentially there is no meaning, no plan to any of it.”

She was aghast at my thoughts. She was in disbelief, seemingly, that I could think in such away. Wide eyes, big expression, pausing completely still in disbelief, gazing back at me. I concluded by saying that I was simply telling her what I thought, I wasn’t telling her that she should think the same thing.

Then later in the day she, gently, mocked me for my beliefs.

“Of course, Christian, doesn’t believe there is a reason for anything.” She seemed to work into most of the conversations for the rest of the day. I could have felt belittled for my thoughts, if hadn't thought is so very boring by late in the day. 

She was the one who asked us what we thought. It is so like so many Christians, they will espouse their Christian view, but when someone tells them opposing views, the Christian will mock those opposing views. However, if someone mocks their Christian views, they will claim they are under attack, or they are being shut down for their views.

Imagine what her reaction would be if I worked, “Of course, Melinda believes in fairytales,” into our conversations, repeatedly.

I’m just pleased that I worked out years ago that I don’t have to convince anyone else of, pretty much, anything. Believe what you like. 

Of course, I see Christian belief as a sign of a lesser developed character. Imagine if I told her that. 


No comments: