Thursday, February 04, 2021

Doing It For Myself (I guess)

Give up my blog?

Well, no one reads it, 

Well, yes, I know no one reads it

So what's the point?

What's the point?

Yes, that's what I asked?

Do you know George Orwell didn't sell a book in his life time...

Are you seriously comparing yourself to George Orwell?

Well, no, not exactly...

So the reference...?

It's the circumstances, that are similar?

Seriously?

Why not?

I think you are getting delusional...

My point being that maybe we don't all quit just because we aren't the flavour of the day.

So, when do you think you will be the flavour?

That's not exactly what I meant.

It's what you just said.

Maybe, some of us do these things for ourselves, because we love it.

All of your contemporaries have quit one by one.

Yes, I know.

Doesn't that tell you something?

Do you think it was Facebook?

Probably. Maybe?

That's not a reason to stop.

So what is the reason to stop?

You tell me.

I'm just going to keep doing it for myself. A writer writes.

You haven't been putting much effort into it lately.

I know, that's true. I'll do better, I promise.

Why?

Why?

Yes, that's what I asked?

Well, I have never been impressive at anything else I have ever done. If I am good at anything, this is it. This is it.

Is that sad?

Maybe? No.

Maybe.

Are all of us really good at lots of things?

Some of us are.

Yes, I know some of us are, but what about the ordinary person?

The ordinary person?

Yes, the average guy.

What are they good at?

Yes.

I don't know.

Getting a job, getting married, having kids, and getting old. Most people don't have any special skills.

That's a bit mean.

Oh, I don't mean for it to be mean, but most of us will pass through life unnoticed, really, when you think about it.

They are noticed by the people who love them.

Yes, of course, they are, but when the people who love them are gone too, they are lost in the ether of everyone who has ever existed.

And, what is your point.

Oh, I don't know. I have one special skill that gives me joy and I intend to keep doing it even if I am the only person to who it brings joy.

Good for you.


2 comments:

David said...

Keep it up. I love reading your blog, like every day. When you occasionally do not post for a day (or two) I have a keen sense of disappointment. I have only been following you for about a year (or 18 months?) and rarely comment. But this post does deserve a reply. You are read by me! And I love it!

FletcherBeaver said...

Oh, well, thank you.