Monday, February 22, 2021

Tell Us How You Feel

We had our usual 2.10pm Webex meeting, except it has been change to a Monday. You know, start the week off with goals and action plans, yap, yap, yap.

Our boss gets us to go around telling everyone what we are working on, what we have finished, and do we need any help with anything. He likes us to add something of what we’ve been feeling, or something we have been thinking to finish. Are we okay, you know, that sort of thing.

Usually, I make them laugh with something funny I had thought of, or observed, but earlier, in the day, as I gazed out side at the sunshine, it had occurred to me that we were more than half way through summer and before we knew it day light savings will be over and we will be back to the dark of winter, again.

So, that’s what I said. “My thoughts, sad to think day light savings will soon be over.”

Well, did that get the accountants chattering on.

“Daylight savings isn’t finishing any time soon.”

“Daylight savings isn’t finishing.”

“No, not soon.”

“That’s not imminent.”

“That’s not happening.”

The voices came at me like a wave.

Daylight savings always used to finish around Mardi Gras which was normally 1st of March, that was my reference. “Doesn’t it finish at the end of Feb?” I say.

“No, not the end of Feb.”

“No, that’s not when it finishes.”

“I don’t think that is right.”

“No, you have that wrong.”

“It finishes 4th of April.” Karen had clearly googled it.

“Well that’s not all that far away,” I offered, as I dusted myself off from the tsunami.

“That’s not soon”

“That’s ages away.”

“What are you talking about?”

“That’s months away.”

“It finishes on the 4th of April,” Karen said again.

I just stopped talking.

Karen laughed her self righteous laugh.

Seriously, I thought. I’m telling you guys how I feel, wasn’t that the deal? It wasn’t supposed to be a timeline on the seasons, or a topic for discussion, for that matter. I was telling you what was going through my head. I wasn’t asking for your opinions. I love the seasons but the one thing I don’t particularly like is the dark.


No comments: