Saturday, August 26, 2023

Shopping & Sunshine

 Late morning, we head out to the car, to head to the shops, but Sam looks at me with one of his looks, “What are you doing?”

“Going to the… oh… um? Are we walking?”

“Ah ha,” says Sam.

And we walk to Victoria Street rather than drive.

I go to The Salvos, just to waste a few dollars on CDs or DVDs that I don’t need. Sam and Bruno walk on.

There was Dani Im sings the Carpenters CD amongst others, but I decided against getting anything. Nyr! I walk out. I head off down Victoria Street quickly as Sam won’t be able to start the shopping until I get there and take Bruno’s lead.

11.57am. I’m at Minh Phat supermarket. Sam heads into The Hive. Bruno and I sit outside Minh Phat and watch the world go by.

It is overcast, but too hot to be walking in a thermal top, stupid me, I’m feeling hot. I should have put a t-shirt on after my shower and before I left home. Soon it will be time to be packing my thermal tops away agin in the cupboard for another year.

12.02pm. Sam reappears. He dumps full shopping bags at my feet, and heads off with empty shopping bags.

He goes to Minh Phat.

12.03pm. A jogger in black and yellow with a tasty arse jogs past. I’m sure Bruno’s head follows the jogger just like my head does. (Perhaps we’re both contemplating sniffing… um… 😬)

12.06pm. Sam reappears, the empty shopping bags now filled up. 

We walk down Victoria Street to get something for lunch. The sun has now come out.

The usual Victoria Street losers are about on the way. The most ‘toothless’ of them become ecstatic about Bruno, often exclaiming his beauty in loud voices. So different to me who likes to stay a little circumspect.

“Oooooooo, idn’t e's bwuteeefall. Ahhhhhhh.”

Too mean? (Sadly, it’s pretty accurate)

I don’t mind the loser/druggies, live and let live, but it always leaves me wondering, surely, we could be doing better as a society? Surely we could?

12.15pm. We’re getting Nasi Lemak at 188 Victoria Street.

There is only five Nasi Lemak and we need six with Charlie, so Sam heads off to get a pork roll. Bruno and I wait at the Nasi Lemak shop with all the shopping bags at our feet.

The sun comes out brightly and is hot.

The cigarettes in the hands of the people walking past stink in the heat. Not so many smokers now a days, but there are in Victoria Street.

The Nasi Lemak shop keeper comes out and gazes at Bruno. She tells me he is a nice dog.

12.28pm. Sam reappears, lunch having been procured.

We walk straight back up Victoria Street. It has turned into a lovely day.

As we cross Hoddle Street, there is a commotion in the first car at the lights. I’m vague, the sun has lulled me into a semi-comatose state. There is waving, but I don’t recognise the car. Then I see a friend of mine in the passenger seat, who I haven’t seen for ages. I can’t see who is driving because of the sun reflected on the windscreen. I wave as it dawns on me who it is. But that intersection is massive, one of the big ones, and if you don’t keep walking you won’t make it right across, so I keep walking. It is not until I get to the other side that I wonder if that appeared rude. I could have run to the window and said hello, but I didn’t. In my defence, I had shopping bags over my shoulders, and a bulldog on a lead, and it is very hard to move anywhere quickly with a bulldog. Still, I would have liked to say hello to them, even if it didn’t look like it.

1pm. Home.

Pretty much did very little for the rest of the day. Ah Saturday, such a lovely day to waste.


No comments: