Thursday, April 13, 2006

Already Spring in the Air

I'm so pissed. Drinks after work for Easter. Me and this guy at work, Michael, have been making eyes at each other. He's got such a great smile... and a slow eye. I find it endearing, sexy even. Handsome. His face flushed red when I looked at him, he held my gaze.

I hold his gaze and smile at him, now. He holds my gaze – momentarily, just that too much too long; the legendary gaydar, all in the eyes. It is given away in a split second, just like that.

After a few beers, Michael smiled back over the drinks table, as we all stood around and talked. Which one of you, in this vast boys club? ... so it is Michael, of all the disciples. So be it, Michael.

We've kind of been flirting with each other for weeks.

We were both in the last few left drinking. He followed me into the toilets, but I think that was just by chance and not by any design. I laughed to myself; at work, Jasus! He found my gaze when he got back to the circle.

Then he left. I left pretty soon, afterwards.

I staggered off up Bourke Street; giddy, smiling, floating, a surprising spring in my step. The night was busy, the footpaths were crowded. Lights on, glowing in the night. Shiny. Dark already. Whoosh, whoosh.

That walk sobers me up on the way home. It straightens me up in the mornings, clears my head, focuses my sight. Air in the lungs. My secret weapon to the working week.

People think that I don't drive to work because I'm a greenie. Nah! Well, that's certainly part of it. It's to straighten me out from the night before's joints.

They have cleared the garden beds, it's a sign that soon the baby Jacarandas will grow some more. They are on their way to forming the Jacaranda arch of honour, for my sunny, morning walk.

The Jacarandas are in bloom again. Such a stunning flower, albeit for such a short time. Glinting like mauve crystals in the soft morning sun. So quickly, crushed jacaranda petals on the path, like mauve snow lightly dusting my way ahead.

But first winter. Woollen coats. Open fires. Dark nights. Cuddle up and listen to the rain washing all of our sins away.

We are on the wane, that's for certain. I can feel it in the air, whenever I leave the house. The air is fresher and lighter. Crisp, clean. The hard bite of summer has gone.

 

No comments: