Sunday, June 11, 2006

Country Air

It's cold and windy at Bolago, even if the sun is out, this morning. I wished I'd bought my camera, as the sun is sharp and clear against the flowers in the garden and it is shining through the square-paned windows throwing long, play-school shadows across the floor. "We'll look through the square window today, thanks Miss Pat."

I didn't leave Fitzroy until late, as my whole day was pushed forward four hours after I woke up unexpectedly at 2pm yesterday. One eye cracked open to see the time and, initially, I thought to myself that the power must have gone off. But the clock would be flashing if the time had gone off. Reality hitting; but I never sleep late. Fuck! 2pm!

I'd fallen asleep on the couch, after Mark and Luke left, only to wake up at 5am. Well, it's too early to get up now, I thought, so I went to bed.

Of course, it was the day that I had to do a house inspection with Lottie. She'd sent her new best friend handy man over to do something, I don't know what and he'd reported back that the rental house was in a deplorable condition and that Lottie had better get herself over there to investigate what had to be done. She flew into a minor spin and requested my presence to accompany her on the viewing.

"I've got to take down the sunroom and have it rebuilt, before it falls down and hurts someone," Lottie told me.

It had been my dad's next project, that and repairing my 12 volt lighting that isn't working, when he so inconsiderately died, so Lottie feels some what attached to the idea, as it is. Pity she doesn't feel quite the same kinship with my twelve volt lighting.

The house looked fine to me, well, no different to how it has ever looked. Sure the old sunroom is dilapidated, but it isn't going to fall down any time soon.

Now Lottie, or should I say us three kids, are in the enviable position of her owning one of the worst houses in one of the very best streets, in one of the best suburbs and Lottie is getting on in years. (you do the maths) So, as you can guess, the minute that house is sold, it will have a bulldozer put through it. There is no point in spending any money on it, unless she is going to do a full renovation, which she is not.

So, I didn't get home until 6pm. Tom was already at my place, as he's going out partying, for Wesley's birthday, tempting me with amphetamines to come out too. "I've got extra, enough for you." He also tempted me with an out of it Wesley ripe for the taking.

Oh Tom.

Perry would forgive you.

It's still tacky...

You've got to drop your principles if you want to get a little action.

Who needs that angst. Perry might forgive me, but he wouldn't be happy about it.

Too much class, said Tom. It must be a burden?

Spoken like a boy who lived too many years in Sydney, I said.

All the way up the highway I kept thinking that I had made the wrong decision. I always seem to have a reason not to go out and take drugs, now-a-days. I guess there would be those amongst us who'd say that was a good thing. But, I'm not so sure. What's wrong with a little fun, after all? (and if I want to find a Manny replacement, well, he is not going to come knocking on my door, that's for sure. Besides, I'm much better in person, procuring partners, than I ever am on-line. I've always been an in the flesh kind of boy)

Mark and Luke were watching Team America, when I arrived. Luke switched it off. Got bored with that, he said.

We smoked pot and went to bed late.

Now it's Sunday and the wind is blowing and the sun is shining and if it wasn't quite so cold, I'd go for a walk in the forest to clear my head and stretch my legs.

Two more days off. Woo-hoo!


No comments: