Sunday, June 02, 2013

Birthdays And Crossing Things Off My 5 Year Plan

I spoke to Jill, she said last night she heard a bang crash and she called out to Lachlan. “Are you okay?”

“No, I have had a fall.”

And ambulance came and took him to hospital

That’s one round to the puppy and the father zero.


We looked at the pictures I have had for years that have never been framed. We looked at the Ikea catalogue and worked out what frames we could get to frame them. How things have changed, once I would have only ever had things framed at a shop, agonising over the frames until I found the perfect ones.

When I was heading into the shower, I noticed there was an unused hook up the stairs. I thought funny, how did we miss a whole place when we were arranging the pictures last night. My mind started to think of what other pictures I could put there. After the shower I realised that Sam had taken grand pa and grand ma down again.

As he was showering, I put them back up.

We I went to get dressed, I discovered my socks were wet, in the basket on the back of my wardrobe door. The roof had leaked. Shit! That has never happened before. Yay. You’ve just got to love 135 year old terrace houses.

There was lunch to get, a birthday present, a card and a plate of food to arrange for David’s birthday this evening and picture frames to be purchased.

We went to Victoria Street and ate Fur. Sam hadn’t had breakfast as I had and he insisted. Grrrr!!! Hungry hungry hippo who was about to roar! I bought white bread for David’s birthday fairy bread. We had to take a pink flower each, David’s favourite colour, so that a flower from each of his friends would make up a whole bunch of flowers for him. And we had to take a plate, so I figured I might as well carry the pink theme over.

We went to Ikea and bought picture frames for the pictures to be framed. Finally. OMG! Ikea. There can’t be that many bored people in Melbourne, can there? Apparently there is, the place was full, all aimlessly wondering about as if waiting to be entertained. It is a sad spectacle, it is only the spending off money that brings these people any joy. The brainwashing is complete, the advertisers and the marketers have won.

I bought David the God Delusion, to counter his stupid spirituality, let’s hope he reads it. Anyone who thinks there is a god, or a force, of a man on a cloud in the 21st Century must be slightly mentally deranged. The atheist and the guru, we have had many a discussion on the matter. Except David is like all the new age spiritualists, god or the great power, or the universal force can be anything you want it to be, so the argument for spiritual things can be so broad that it is unarguable.

We walked Buddy to Smith Street and bought a 50 year old card and 100’s & 1000’s. We came home and made fairy bread. I wrapped the present.

We went to David’s birthday party. It was a staggered surprise party, which seemed to make no sense to me at all. We had to be there at 5.30. We got there at 5.20, just as Margaret got there too. She was supposed to be 5pm, but had been caught up. We said we were going to sit in the car for 10 minutes, she said come inside.

As it turned out, the 5.15’s were early and the 4.45’s were late. Translation, everybody just got there when it suited them.

Sam and I are not very good boy scouts and we were bored after an hour, it seemed like hours had passed. The next hand full of minutes was interminable. After an hour I asked Sam if he wanted to leave, he said yes? We are always in tune with one another. Translation we are both as anti social as each other. A hour and half later we made an excuse and left. I saw that the show was being set up and whispered in Sam’s ear, we have to get out now.

We can be such partners in crime, the two of us. We always seem to think the same thing, we always seem to want to do what the other one wants to do. We are so in sink with our wants and desires. It is lovely, you know.

5.30 was way to early to start at a party, nobody is interesting until they are half pissed or fully bombed on something. And as I had to drive, that wasn’t going to happen for me. I much prefer to get to parties late when everybody else is wasted.

When we got home, as I headed upstairs I noticed straight away that Sam had taken grandma and grandpa away and hidden them back in the storeroom again, for the second time. But this time the hook was gone too. I yelled at him. I thought he’d taken the hook to make it harder to put them back. I thought that was too much. He looked at it and the realisation was clear across his face. He didn’t realise he pulled out the hook as well. I felt bad for being an old harpie.

We framed pictures and hung them. Sam was being difficult if he didn’t agree with the decision I had made. If he didn’t think I was doing the right thing, he wouldn’t play along so easily, but, you know, that is how we all are, I guess.

“Why are you being so difficult to get along with?” One of our favourite catchphrases to each other.

I think we managed to add colour to the front hallway. It is a bit new and old – Mark will probably comment along those lines – and there probably needs to be a few more modern pictures added, but it is a good start.

I am very pleased.

As my dear old uncle – the one married to the poisonous bitch aunty from Warracknabeal– would have said once, There’s a good job done.

Or as I might say, something crossed off my 5 year plan.

No comments: