Sunday, December 21, 2014

Our First Family Lunch

I was awake at 5.45. I knew I was awake. I knew I wasn’t going back to sleep. I was comfortable, but awake. I tried to pretend that I was going back to sleep, but I knew I wasn’t. I got very comfortable and then I got very comfortable again, but it was no good, as awake as the morning was.

I made coffee and smoked a joint gazing up at the gum tree, which still wasn’t in sunlight yet. I looked at Buddy in his kennel, he wasn’t reacting. I squatted down to see if I could see if his eyes were open, or not? I couldn’t really tell.

He came in and sat like he was waiting for a bus. I went outside to smoke a joint and Buddy headed upstairs.

Sam was up before 8am. We cleaned up the house, vacuumed, swept the back yard and put the clean clothes away.

We had family lunch at our place for the first time. We were kind of anxious, well, I was, I guess I shouldn’t speak for Sam. Of course, he was doing the cooking. 

I put the pork in the oven at 9am.

Sam went to have a shower so he could go to the supermarket and buy prawns and gravox.

I put the turkey in the oven at 9.30am. We peeled the potatoes and put them on to boil.

Sam headed to the supermarket.

The potatoes went in the oven.

The pork came out at 10.30am.

The carrots when into the pork dish.

The pumpkin was cut up and baked too.


(Niece) Lucy arrived first.

(sister) Roz and (brother in law) Grant arrived.

(niece) Kellie arrived with (boyfriend) Paul.

Buddy jumped on everybody.

Lucy got a phone call to tell her that a friend’s dog, Buster, had died. He’d been hit by a car in the morning and didn’t survive. So, Lucy was upset and not really her normal self. She’s getting quite opinionated, it is good to see.

We ate prawns and dip. 

Buddy vomited all over the carpet, a huge puddle of what looked like oatmeal/wholemeal brown, all over the carpet. Paul moved away like a shot, flying to the other couch. I thought country boys were good with all that stuff. I guess Paul is a country boy? Surely, he’d have to be.

Sam served up the lunch. It all went smoothly. The turkey was a bit dry, but we had to cook the pork really hot to start with, then we turned it down and waited before we put the turkey in too, but I guess it was always going to be too hot, so the turkey can be excused.

We ate mud cake and trifle. We drank coffee and tea.

Roz and I drank more tea.

They all left around 3pm.

The lunch was a success. We got to that point that I’d been concentrating on ever since I started to get nervous beforehand, where we were drinking tea and the meal was done.

We lazed away the afternoon.

We cleaned away the lunch time mess.

We ate noodles for dinner.


No comments: