Sunday, May 02, 2021

Saturday Night With The Old Gang

We headed to Sebastian’s, in Kew, by uber. It is the first time we have all caught up in months. We arrived at 7.40pm at the same time as two other guests, Damian and someone, clearly boyfriends, we introduced ourselves as we walk in.

Matt was in the kitchen rolling joints, he handed me a joint as soon as I walked in. 

Julien and Miss Chris were in the kitchen. We all smoked joints.

We sat in the lounge room and chatted. 

Adriana was the last to arrive. In a lull in the conversation, she said she had some news. She told us that she left Jimmy just recently. She said it had got bad during lock down being home together all the time. (I knew of one incident, which was really unpleasant, but I didn’t know there had been any others)

She had secretly packed all her stuff up over the preceding weeks, and was ready to do a runner. She waited until Jimmy got home from being out all night, early Sunday morning. He came home as the sun came up and went to bed. Adriana waited a short time and then got a bag with the last of her things in it. They have been sleeping in separate bedrooms lately which made it easier. Jimmy got up for a piss just as she was getting ready to leave. Adriana hoped he wouldn’t stay up. Sometimes he did stay up and smoke bongs, sometimes he didn’t. He went back to bed. She waited half an hour, or so, then got her stuff and left. On the way out, of course, something dropped on to the wooden floorboards, and she froze, but it didn’t wake him.

Jimmy thought she’d gone to her parent’s place down the beach for the weekend. Sunday night he called to ask her when she was coming home.

“I’m not coming home, Jimmy.”

“When are you coming home then?”

“I’m not coming home, Jimmy.”

“Yeah, okay, I get it,” he said. “But when are you coming home?”

“I’m not coming home, Jimmy.”

“What?”

“I’ve left you Jimmy,” she said. “I’m never coming home.”

He searched her wardrobe with her still on the phone. “No clothes,” he said.

“I’ve left Jimmy.”

First, she copped abuse.

Then she copped remorse, him apologising and saying he needs her.

He thinks she's down the beach with her folks, but she is in St Kilda, with her friend Dale.

Wow! I didn’t really know what to say. (I was a couple of joins in by that stage)

I sat next to Sam and Julien at the dinner table. We all chatted.

We ate gnocchi and slow cooked beef, and a cauliflower salad with cranberries in it.

Sebastian had just sold the house, his parent’s house. They are both now in care. It was just Sebastian and his brother. Sebastian asked if he should buy in the city, or the country. He said he worked from home now, so that didn't really matter. I said, in that case, I’d look in Daylesford, Woodened, Mount Macedon, that depended how much he got for the Kew house? He didn't say, but Kew is right up in the expensive suburbs.

There was lemon curd and chocolate mousse with cream.

We had coffee and some delicious rich walnut cake one of the other guys bought. He said he was a wog and had to bring food on the walk in at the very beginning.

I ate far too much chocolate mouse and walnut cake.

We smoked more pot.

11.11pm. I finally went to the toilet at the end of the night, after trying to go all night. It was always occupied. It was the longest wee in history, it was interminable.

I came back out and lay on the couch and immediately began to drift off to sleep, which made me realise it was time to go home. Truthfully, I was just too stoned, what a fucken amateur. I got up and staggered back to the dining room table and whispered in Sam’s ear, time to go.

Julien wrapped a bud up to go.

Sam called an Uber, and we said our good byes.

All the way down the freeway I sat in the back and thought, I am really very stoned, and I feel uncomfortable in the stomach from eating too much.

I crashed into bed.


No comments: