Thursday, February 15, 2024

Walking the Dogs, Doing The Garden

6.55am. I wake up. My day off. I hear some woman’s voice out in the street, it has quite a nasally accent.

I stand in front of the closed venetian blinds, I like the ambience they give with the morning sun behind them.

I head over to the bakery to get bread. There are police cars out the front in the street. I see the police up the lane with my neighbour Jackson Wag.

On the way back the police woman asks me if we have any more cameras?

“We have them out the back, but they face inwards.”

“Oh,” she says.

“Did something happen?” I ask.

“A burglary.”

“At Jackson Wag’s house?”

“Yes.”

I think to myself, the bulldogs should be sleeping outside to bark at burglars, but no, they are inside on their own Tempour mattresses.

7.10am. Sam is up.

7.15am. Otto is up.

I suggest to Sam that the bulldogs should sleep outside to deter burglars and he says, “No way. They might get kidnapped, or poisoned.”

I make coffee and read the news.

Lab-grown ‘beef rice’ could offer more sustainable protein source, say creators. Scientist behind hybrid carbohydrate praises its ‘pleasant and novel flavour experience’.

The biologist who first tagged a one-year-old platypus back in 2000 was astonished when it was recaptured last year, aged about 24, making it the oldest platypus found in the wild.

Lidia Thorpe calls for ‘sleazy’ MPs to be excluded from sitting weeks and fined for bad behaviour. I never know what to think about Lidia Thorpe?

Barnaby Joyce to consider taking personal leave, after being filmed lying on his back in the street wailing into his phone. No, that’s not normal behaviour, said Nat Leader Littleproud. He’s made it very clear that he not only embarrassed himself but he embarrassed his family. So it’s important that we work through this methodically around what are the underlying causes of this. And one of those is around a mixture of the medication he was provided with alcohol. He acknowledges that. But there are other driving force that I won’t divulge. If Barnaby wants to make that public, it’s up to him. Why do people keep re-electing this disaster?

8am. I make vegemite toast and a peanut butter end piece and more coffee.

9:36am. I take the dogs for a walk. It’s a sunny morning, quite lovely really.

The sun is shining beautifully as we walk down the west side of Brunswick Street.

10am. We do TattsLotto in the Brunswick Street TattsLotto shop. There was a gorgeous 20 year old blonde boy in the TattsLotto shop before us, black shorts and a black singlet, worth looking at as we wait. The handsome Asian guy behind the counter is always interested in the bulldogs.

We cross over Brunswick Street at Victoria Street when Brunswick Street is unusually empty of cars, just full of sunshine and blue sky.

We stop for water at the water bowl cnr Brunswick Street and Johnson Street.

Johnson Street is bathed in sunshine.

The white bull terrier is not in the window of the tattoo shop, cnr Young Street.

We stop for more water at the Faraday Café.

10:20am. A handsome 30 something blonde boy with his cream Labrador is depositing food scraps into the shoot at the house on the corner of Greaves Street and Gore Street. The dogs say hello past cnr Greeves Street. His dog’s name is Dolly. We walk up the street behind them. He’s got khaki shorts, pale blue polo top, he has nice legs and floppy hair, boy next door type. 

10:30am. We’re home.

We ate Mongolian lamb for lunch.

I lay on the couch until about 2.30pm when I decided that I just had to do something other than lie on the couch, so I went outside and chopped the side creeper. I’d noticed earlier in the day, or yesterday, or some other day recently, how over grown it was and how it really needed a good prune.

First up, I repotted a couple of plants, just to get myself in the mood. While I was looking for the right sized pot, which I keep up the side of the house, I noticed that the hole in the fence seemed to be missing. That can’t be, I think to myself. Then when I looked a little more earnestly, I could see it had been covered up. I pushed my finger into the hole to see how well it had been covered, and it was covered up quite well. It seemed permanent, and then I could only assume deliberately.

A few weeks ago, I was up the side of the house looking for pots, I bent down to inspect a couple of pots and as I came up my eye came level with the hole in the fence and I peeked through to see this rather plain girl in the sitting area, she reminded me of Ellie out The Last of Us, and I think she saw me looking at her, and I pulled my face away from the hole.

I guess she saw me looking, I thought. That is unfortunate. 

Anyway, whatever. I didn’t think any more about it. I wasn’t really one to be looking through holes in fences. Oops.

Not long after, I decided to get up on the back veranda and chop the creeper back. I got all of the stuff I needed, and then I realised as I get up on the roof at the side of the house, I’ll be able to look over and see how the hole in the fence has been covered over.

I got secateurs, gloves and a bucket and I climbed up onto the side fence and looked over. There were two of the old fashioned long wooden seedling type boxes standing on end side by side, then there were about 6 bricks piled on top of that all the way up to the hole in the fence. I laughed. That looks like something someone with no wood working skills would do. I supressed a laugh up there on the fence. She must have been serious about covering that hole. She must live her life at a level of paranoia that borders on the unbearable.

(reading back over this a day later, paranoia? Um? Just to be clear the hole in the fence looked into their kitchen/back yard. It was innocent, there was no intent to spy on anyone. I looked innocently. I guess she doesn't know this? How would I feel if someone looked through the fence at me? I don't know.)

I got up on my roof and chopped back the creeper. 

I wondered how Miss Paranoia er,  she did see me look through the hole in the fence... um? How would she react if she saw me climbing up onto the fence? (It is the only way I can climb onto my roof, which I have to do reasonably often to keep my gutters clean, otherwise they overflow and leak into my house) I wondered if she’d demand that I didn’t climb up that way as it made her feel uncomfortable, or unsafe, or exposed. 

I wondered? how she would react when I refused and asked her if there was some medication she’d stopped which she should be taking. (sometimes I can get caught up in the narrative in my head and, no, I wouldn’t say that to her) Anyway...

The creeper was all quite long, so I thought I mustn’t have pruned for some years. 

I decided to leave it long on the lane side, you know, just in case it deterred any robbers thinking it look impenetrable to climb over. I just chopped it back on our side. It wasn’t too hard to do this as it grows quite wildly up there.

I found a stash of macadamia husks under the roof over the back veranda, clearly a possum had taken advantage of the protection wild and woolly creeper provided. So, I cleaned all of that out.

5.10pm. I’d finished chopping up the creeper. My right hand got too sore to keep chopping.

I went and had a shower as I was sweaty.

5.25pm. I come back downstairs, Troy is in the kitchen.

I watched Grand Tour Car meet ups.

Sam had a body corporate meeting online for his place. I used to have to drive him to those (remember, Sam doesn't drive) boring meetings and sit through them wondering what I had done that was so bad in my life to have them inflicted upon me, or wishing everyone would just evaporate before the meeting ended, but Covid took those meetings online, so Covid was good for something.

I watched Top Gear car meet ups.

We ate luxo instant noodles with prawns and fish and tofu and asparagus for dinner.


No comments: