Monday, March 13, 2023

Labour Day Weekend

Monday, of a long weekend. I am sure that has connotations of quiet, just naturally, without ever, actually, judging the noise levels of the day. The term long weekend just somehow naturally cocoons you from the normal day.

Sam wants to go and do something, get out and see the world, and me with my naturally lazy tendencies - I don't know how he puts up with me - puts it back onto him straight away.

"Where do you want to go?" I say.

"Oh, I don't know," he says.

With no destination naturally coming to mind, and me being stubbornly mute on the topic, he goes and cleans the pond filter. 

I finish writing my blog, after which I settle back on the couch with my kindle and Margaret Atwood's new book of short stores. The breeze blowing in the back door is cool, so I pull the grey striped blanket over my legs.

Later, when the pond has been sufficiently maintained, Sam comes back in and suggests walking to Carlton to eat Nasi Lemak for lunch.

He commandeers the couch when I get off to write down some ideas, I had reading Babes in the Woods, as he hurt his back yesterday down the Yarra grabbing Bruno away from yet another gormless twat's less than social dog off its lead. Seriously, the stupidity is strong, or is that selfishness, I think the latter, with some people, but I guess that is kind of the point hey, people just don't give a fuck about anyone else but themselves. (I'm not saying that is any truer of today, than it has been of any era, because I suspect it isn't) Sam calls out loudly in pain as he settles himself back on the couch. I am tempted to argue the point of immediate ownership of the couch as I'd only been off it for moments, but I don't.

So, it looks like we are off to Carlton.

The sun shines, even if the temperature isn't so warm, but, you know, warm enough.


Sam gets me to stand on his back, always against my better judgement. He lies face down on the floor and I step on his back with my foot, with absolutely no feeling as to what I am doing. He groans and moans and I prod about on his back with my big feet with the touch of witless elephant and somehow this is as good as someone with university medical training. My mind boggles.


We walked through the gardens and ate lunch in Lygon Street sitting out on the foot path. Charlie came with us. It was quite busy, the footpath tables were full of people, quite constant, really. Bruno lay down with his face between his paws and watched the goings on around him. People had to step over him at times, as he just isn’t bothered by people trying to get past.

The sun shone.

It was a lovely day.


No comments: