Friday, March 24, 2023

Reading Books

I'm not going to buy books anymore, I'm going to get everything on my kindle. 

It is a matter of storage, I no longer have any clear bookshelf space for any new books. It is a such pity as books are just lovely tactile things. I love the smell of a new book first thing in the morning.

It is a matter of reading light, too, I can read a kindle anywhere, where with a book I just have to get the light just right. And in a terrace house, light isn't always at a premium, let me tell you.

And then there is yellowing pages, I detest the pages of novels when they have yellowed off. It does put me off re-reading an old favourite, if the pages have turned yellow.

And it is instant gratification, let's not forget that. And us humans love a bit of instant gratification. We are forever wanting that itch scratched, we have no self control when it comes to that. In fact, I'd say, wanting that scratch itched has probably got more humans into more trouble than just about anything else. 

But, I digress, as this itch scratching is of the highest order. You can order a book and it is instantly available to you on your screen. And you have to love that.

On the downside, you miss out on the pleasure of looking through a book shop to discover new books, but, you can just go straight home and order them online. Peruse the book shop for all the joy that that brings and head home and order them there.

Do both. I know I'm going to.


No comments: