Saturday, September 22, 2007

Beautiful Morning

I have an original screen print of a duck above my desk in my study. It has been loathed and loved equally by my friends over the years. The artist has become quite famous since I bought it as a teenager and, I guess, it is probably worth something now.

Was I an odd young man, instead of getting drunk and staying out late, as a teenager - that came later, don't you worry about that - I collected art work? I was encouraged by my mother and an interested friend of hers. I never bought that rare hand coloured etching by Lloyd Rees, however, big mistake, considering the old boy has since died, but that is another story, but I bought a number of pieces, which I still have.

But I digress... the duck hit everything on the way down - lower paintings were bought down, my computer screen was knocked forwards, my lamp knocked sideways, my birthday cards and assorted stuff on the desk scattered, to land upside down in the middle of the room. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply, as I surveyed the trail of destruction. But nothing was broken, amazingly. I expected the glass to come tinkling out and the frame to be skewed when I picked it up, but no, nothing, no damage at all. It could have been a huge disaster.

So, was the duck flying south? No, surely, this time of year it would be flying north.


No comments: