Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why Don't Family Groups Just But Out?

A Melbourne filmmaker has outraged family groups and university administrators by trying to recruit students to auction their virginity online.

Justin Sisely plastered posters around Monash University campuses offering $20,000 to a male and female virgin to appear in a warts-and-all documentary.

But the "Virgins Wanted" placards were torn down after objections from a family group, the Herald Sun reports.

Mr Sisely does not see what the fuss is about. "It's a one-time thing, it's not like they're continually going to be a prostitute," he is quoted as saying.

Mr Sisely said his production company, Thomas William Productions, has received about 100 requests for auditions in the film, which he says will explore "the idea of virginity as a commodity".

He said the chosen students will have a number of very personal moments captured on film, including undergoing virginity tests.

As well as the $20,000 payment for starring in the film, the virgin students reportedly will also receive 90 percent of any money raised through the auction. "Potentially, there's a truckload of money to have," Mr Sisely said.

Monash University confirmed they have banned the posters from their campuses and have contacted police.

But Mr Sisely says the reaction has been largely positive, after also distributing hundreds of posters in the CBD.

"It's funny, most people are taking them down not because they're offended, but because they want to keep them," he said.

9msn


Why don't family groups just but out? These are university students, adults who can make their own decisions. It is that simple.

I would guess that family groups are religious groups (The Australian Family Association is the Catholic Church for example) yet again inflicting their ideas on other people.

The response has been mostly positive. One hundred people have made enquires for auditions. Family Groups, the general population clearly doesn't agree with you.

I'm sorry, but it is just one of my pet hates - one group of people inflicting their ideas on another group of people because they think they know best. (It's how world wars start) What happened to live and let live? Market forces, if you like, will take care of such a proposal quite nicely, thank you. Censorship/prohibition just doesn't work, you don't have to go back too far in history to see that.

Why don't family groups/religious groups make themselves useful and tackle homelessness, poverty, hunger, people in need and let the people who are quite able to make their own decisions, make their own decisions?

If I was back at uni and someone offered me 20K plus, I'd do it, except for the fact I lost my virginity way before I got to uni.

Besides, kids should get in a bit of practise, so they know what they are doing when they meet the partner they really like. No use being sexually hopeless when you meet the one you love.


4 comments:

Bold oy! said...

I'm so with you on this.

I mean I really do know best, but I just watch people stumble through their misery and don't tell them what to do, lol.

FletcherBeaver said...

Me too. I often feel I’m an unappreciated expert.

Adaptive Radiation said...

Hmmm...I'm intrigued what tests they would use to verify virginity for the male subject.

And where the hell are the family groups lurking on campus? I find that especially disturbing.

FletcherBeaver said...

I wondered about the male virginity tests myself. I imagined something sharp and pointy up your dick, then thought, Nah. Maybe, it's twenty questions, although one would think not so accurate.
I thought uni campus' were meant for such things - sexual experimentation, try the pills, flirt with communism, you know, expand your horizons, not shut them down like you had joined the Liberal party. Clearly, the current conservatism has leached into uni campus' too.