Thursday, March 12, 2009

Disposable Society

The dishwasher man says that my motor is burnt out. To fix it will cost approx $600.

However, they have a slightly newer model back at their work shop that has been fully reconditioned to practically brand new, which they will just swap over for $600.

A new Asko costs some where near $1500, apparently.

What to do?

I didn't want to buy a new one, because of the environment, consumerism doesn't have to be like that. Nothing has ever gone wrong with the current machine, even if it is old now. Get it repaired, is what I was thinking. I don't have to be a part of the disposable society. But, this is nearly the same, I guess.

I can't be a writer and a financial whizz kid (do you like that?) (I hate the term accountant) and a dishwasher repair expert, all at the same time. I didn't know, it wasn't an option I'd contemplated. So, I said yes.


2 comments:

Gabriel said...

you are such a keeper. i like that in a man hehe.....

FletcherBeaver said...

You must have seen my place. I never throw anything away.
But, we are not going to survive as a species until we stop consuming the planets resources, which is only making a few people who own the corporations rich. Actually, we’re not going to survive, as governments and big business are going to do everything in their power to keep us spending, which is going to lead to the destruction of the planet.