Friday, January 15, 2021

Into The City Shopping

9.30am. It started to rain. It was a wintry morning, for summer. I’m not complaining, you understand, I like the melancholy of the rain. I like a cool summer. Those days over 35, I can live without them.

I had just finished uploading my new Bette Davis movies to my movie collection and, I guess, I was itching to do some more. Sam says I am addicted to DVDs, movies for my movie collection, but I suspect I am addicted to the uploading process. I’m sure it is a Virgo thing, something along the lines of getting one’s collection in order. Or something like that? Ha ha. But, I admit, it is nice to see the collection grow with all my favourite movies.

I wonder if I can be cheeky enough to go into the city to buy more DVDs to upload? Have I explained? I now have a massive hard drive which attaches to my TV and with the appropriate app it works like Netflix, or any of the other streaming services, except it is my own movie channel. I flick over to it like I do to Netflix, or Amazon. It has completely renewed my interest in my movie collection.

There is the classic DVD shop in the city, where I can get the 10 DVDs for $20. I got two seasons of True Blood, which gives me the first 3 seasons, I already has season 2. I am hoping I can get further seasons, so we can start watching it again from the beginning. I reckon the time is right now. We need all 7 seasons before we start, otherwise the binge may go unfulfilled. Sam isn’t so keen, but he’ll come around, it’s a hot show. Besides, I don’t think I ever watched the final seasons of True Blood in the end.

So, bravely I announced what I was going to do.

Sam has something to say about it. “You are addicted to DVDS?”

“Maybe a little.” I smiled. “I’m sure it is just a phase.” I have been hitting it hard lately, but, you know, that just means I’m dedicated.

“Surely, that has to be admired,” I suggest.

Sam rolls his eyes. He tells me it is raining and I am being ridiculous. He has more to say when I say I’ll catch a tram. “Oh yes, spend even more money!” He’s funny.

Midmorning, I leave for the city. I leave with a big umbrella. The over sized umbrella that often won’t fit passed a power pole on the norrow streets of Fitzroy. Pretty soon I have wet shoes. The water is flying up in an arch in front of me from each shoe with each step that I take. I walk in with my umbrella over my head as the rain is falling straight down. It is kind of nice, except for the wet shoes, of course. I stop in front of the Princess Theatre and write this all down for my journal before I forget. The rain falls. Don’t you think falling rain in the city is kind of romantic.

Unfortunately, there were no more True Blood DVDs, and I struggle to find 10 DVDs that I want. I contemplate 4 for $10, but you know me, I manage the 20.

Did I just want more stuff to upload, now that I am done with everything I had? He, he. Maybe? Shrug. I’ll find a 12 step program, or something without god in it, at some future date. Yes, some godless self help program for the… do you think the Christians need a 12 step program to get over their god addiction? But, I digress…

Shrug, Maybe.

11.30am. I’m heading home again. The rain starts to fall lightly on my head. The wind blows.

Home at 11.47am.

I put A Catered Affair on, I’ve just got it. A Bette Davis movie she made in the mid 1950s, when she wasn't getting many roles. I like it.

Put my feet up. It's hard, you know, shopping. No wonder I don't like it, for the most part.

1pm. We ate beef bulgogi for lunch. Sam handed me the plate as the movie played.

Oh my! Earnest Bognine bought a tear to my eye, unexpectedly, he and Bette have had what is a loveless marriage all through the film, and at the end he, essentially, tells her he loves her.


“We’ve been married a long time,” says Tom.

“Too long?” asks Agnes. Hoping for him to disagree.

“To know someone... it’s like a day,” says Tom.

(I guess you had to be there)

I watched Debbie Reynolds interviews on YouTube. She played the daughter. Busy day.

It rained some more.

No comments: