Sunday, January 24, 2021

Hot Sunday

It's hot, 39 degrees. So, we need air conditioning, to combat the heat. We burn more power to run the air conditioner, and the planet’s temperatures get hotter. So, we need more air conditioning... vicious cycle.

We took the dogs for a walk early, the sun was hot at 9am.

I shopped early, down the shops at 10am.

Buddy, Bruno and I sat out the front of Woollies. I sat on the concrete and looked at my phone. Three girls walked up with two greyhounds, they nonchalantly tied the greyhounds to the bollard without acknowledging the bulldogs, or me. I got the impression they were too cool for the three of us, and they greyhounds were more of a fashion statement than dog ownership. They tried to avoid looking down their noses at us, but they failed.

Then an older lady came out of Woollies and told us, kind of announced, how her dog died 3 weeks ago and how much she missed it. The three girls had to react to her as she drew them in despite themselves. The girls opened and closed their mouths and look from one to the other. 

The older lady seemed sweet. 

“It must be very hard,” I said.

She smiled back at me. 

Sam came out the door and took us away from all of them.

 

We washed the dogs. An armful of towels and upstairs. Buddy has always been happy to climb the stairs and walk in under the water on his own. Bruno isn’t quite so please about the whole thing. I wash Bruno first, so then Sam can dry him and I can wash Buddy who is not going to fight me under the water.

 

I repotted that pesky agave that has needed repotting for, well, forever. It was David's, another thing he jettisoned as he headed north. I was sweating by the time I'd finished.

Then, what else was there to do when it was hot outside? Watch a Katherine Hepburn movie, Guess Who's Coming For Dinner. She had such loveliness about her. Shocking to think the same problems still exist today, proven by what's gone on in the White House recently. 

Racism is such an ugly disease. The notion that some people are less than you. Who first thought? Why would you think? WTF? For whatever reason it makes no logical sense. No sense at all.

It is going to be hotter tomorrow. I shiver with anticipation.


No comments: