Friday, December 09, 2022

Pissing Around With My plants and Plant Pots

I second coat my garden bench in merbau brown, in the dappled sunlight on this gorgeous Friday morning. The sun sparkles.

I picked up a large black porcelain plant pot along with a slightly smaller dark red one the other day, again out on the footpath. I had a pot of red geraniums that I planted from cuttings, I think, last year, so I repotted them up into the black pot.

I read recently that spider plants are very efficient at filtering the air inside your house, and I haven't had a spider plant inside since Mark transplanted the one I did have out into a corner of my back yard where it has turned into an absolute monster, taking over several metres square. I rip it out by the handful occasionally.

I have always thought spider plants were happy plants, with their variegated leaves, and I have a spot in my atrium that gets a lot of full sun and the plants I have put there have never really enjoyed the position, so I decided it was high time for another spider plant indoors. And I had that dark red porcelain pot just crying out to be filled... as the actress said to the bishop. It can take a certain amount of full sun, but if it doesn't like the position in which I have put it, no big deal, I have a whole paddock of them outside from which to choose another one. I also just happened to have a red porcelain saucer that matches.

I picked up 3 terracotta pots in the street recently, that had been painted white. I took to them with a scourer hoping to get that stressed look by the time I am finished, and by the time I was finished I did. Not quite as good as I had imagined, but pretty good none the less. Nothing another couple of sessions in the sink with a scourer won't fix.

I picked up a 4th pot with the other 3, which looked pretty awful and nondescript, but it came up the best. I think it just had a mix of dirt and flaking terracotta. It will probably come up really well with some terracotta sealer. Again, people don't seem to understand that terracotta pots need to be sealed.

I drank my 4th coffee, so Sam tells me by text from a meeting he was in in the other room, and surveyed my handy work when I was done.

I have always love playing with plants in pots ever since I was a kid.


No comments: