Friday, February 24, 2006

The Dining Room

No one on stage. There are shadows across the room from the afternoon sun shining through a widow. Voices from off R. A middle aged woman and a man in overalls appear in the doorway.


Woman

…it’s just in here, this way.

Man

Oh yes, she looks like she’s seen better days all right.

Woman

You see, as I said, I’m afraid it’s hopeless, gone in the legs, as they say.

Man

Well…this sure is a beautiful room.


She looks at the man and then at her hands.

He walks around the table, running his hand over the surface of the table. He bends and looks underneath.


Woman

Yes, I love coming in here in the afternoons, I read a lot. Do you?


He looks out from under the table.


Man

What?

Woman

Read. Do you read?

Man

Ah, no. Don’t have time.

Woman

No, most men don’t have time.


He ducks his head under the table again.


Woman

It’s hard to get, a good man…


From under the table.


Man

Huh?

Woman

Tradesman. When you’re on your own, like I am.

Man

That’s what we’re here for.

Woman

Yes, but so hard to find. One that knows what he’s doing, who can do the job.


He stands up and faces her


Man

I think you are being a little hard on…tradesman in general.

Woman

Are you interested? Should she be put out to pasture, gone in the legs

Man

Oh no. There’s not much needed here, but a little TLC.

Woman

They are the words I’ve been waiting to here.


She runs her fingers over the tabletop.


Woman

She was beautiful once, I suppose that’s hard to believe now.

Man

No, that’s not hard to believe. She still is.


No comments: