Friday, February 17, 2006

Manny, Manny, Manny

Manny called to say he’d taken fifteen serapax and could I drive him to the hospital. He sounded very slow. I told him to call an ambulance. I’d had a few joints by this stage. I didn't know what fifteen serapax would do to him. I thought an ambulance would be able to get him to emergency quicker than I could. He said he would. I told him to call back when he had. He didn't. I tried calling him back, but the phone was continually engaged. I wasn't sure if the OOO operator would continue talking to him, or if he’d passed out and left the phone off the hook.

I called drug line and asked if fifteen serapax would kill someone, they said probably not, but he couldn't give medical advice – thank you to all the lawyers in the world for that one.

So, I drove over to Manny’. There was no answer at his door. I knocked and called out his name. There was a guy sitting on the step when I got there. When he heard me call out Manny’ name he said,

"The guy with well groomed black hair, who always wears jeans?" said the voice from down below.

"Yes, that's him," I said.

"He got taken away in an ambulance, mate. I walked down to where he was sitting. The guy with black hair who always wears jeans. Yes, that’s him. "Some time ago."

I contemplated going to the hospital, nearly did, but I decided that since I knew he was in safe hands, I wouldn't. I’d let him deal with the consequences of his own actions. I felt bad about him doing it on his own, but… You know what they say, if you take fifteen serapax and then call someone, you're trying to get noticed.

I don’t know, I guess I should have gone to the hospital, so he didn't feel so alone in the world. But really?

 

No comments: