I was up just before 6am. It was still wintry dark. I wanted to get to work @ the toy company, early to get everything done. I only have until 4pm to get it all finished. I figured if I got to work at 7am, as Vonda said she did, I’d have plenty of time, a full day even, to complete the job. It takes about half an hour, or slightly longer, to get from Fitzroy to the other side of Richmond, if I left at 6.30am I should do it.
Eat something. Shower. Cut up chunks of lamb and put it in your lunch box. Leave the house. Catch a tram.
Catch the tram? What was I thinking, I thought. I am only catching the tram because parking is near on impossible at 8.30am. But at 7am there are plenty of car parks. Down the weird little back street out the back where everyone crams their cars in together. The thing was that I’d told Mark he could have the car. I wavered for quite a few minutes, what to do, and then decided, sorry Mark, but I am going to drive, it is my car, after all. Sorry.
So, I park down the back blocks down the weird little street with the appropriate name and walk through to the office. It’s all miserable, the whole place, with people and buildings, and streets all jammed seemingly into a space that isn’t quite big enough. It’s the sort of place you go to kill yourself, I thought, as I walked through. Oh yes, they have banged in some gardens, oh yes, lovely horticultural effort, but it doesn’t really help keep down the suicide rate. I chuckled to myself, in the half dark as I made my way to the toy company’s front door.
The HR chick said not to discuss the pay rises in the main office as only a select few got them. Both HR chicks were two of just five who got pay rises. How many times have I seen that? HR chicks look after themselves when it comes to pay rises and benefits. Over and above any other employee, it is a universal truth. Having said that, I’m not sure whey she’d think I would discuss the pay rises with anyone?
It took me most of the day to get my work done. My deadline was 4pm as the reporting OS cuts off at that time.
The crazy arse system backups they have take an inordinate amount of time, as they are in India. Fifteen minutes, I had to wait. (What a stupid system) So, I spent an hour in total during the day waiting for them. When Nina Low made some comment about should she go to lunch, or should she wait around to do authorise my work, I sensed she thought I was slow, so I offered her the back up. She and the CEOs assistant who sits in front of me, both agreed that is why Vonda didn’t do them. (I'm a consultant, and something goes wrong and it is shown that I didn't follow procedure. Oh yes, I can see how that would go) All I could think was, stuff you both, you are implicit trying to prove that my role can be done in one day per week. Fuck them! I’d already started at 7am. This job is not a one day a week role.
The “wet” accountant bought up the pay roll tax audit again, asking me if had I sorted it out. Vonda had done it and given it to him, it is his responsibility, I think. I told him I know nothing about it, even if I did investigate and find the deadline is June 27th. I didn’t tell him that. Work it out for yourself, buddy. Oh yes, I know, I should be more helpful, but none of these people inspire help in me, or anyone else, I would guess.
I feel like I am drowning in this job, due to time constraints. It’s all basic accounting, but the time constraint is impossible. I’m praying for TattsLotto to get me out of it. Anything, to get me out of it. I hate this job, it is miserable, kind of ironic for a toy company, don’t you think?
Not long after 4pm, I was out of there. Don’t make me go back is all I could think walking to my car.
Sam cooked noodles for dinner.

No comments:
Post a Comment