Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Poor, Poor, Me

I got up at 4am, because I was hot, Sam had the column heater on and we had three doonas on the bed, but also because I was nervous and in suspected pain. I had trouble walking when I got up. My leg hurt. I went downstairs, it was difficult. I took Nurofen. 

The pain seemed to be better after the Nurofen. It didn’t seem quite so bad when I got up 6am. I contemplated going to Emergency then. When I went to have antibiotics for my arm, going early often meant going when it was not busy. But, I didn’t go.

I headed to work. I had to work, as if I didn’t I don’t get paid. 

My sports style car seats seemed to press on my hip and make it ache for the drive to work. And, of course, cunt’s law, when I needed to drive as little as possible, I had the longest drive to work to Clayton, of course I did.

I took Nurofen every four hours. I didn’t say anything to Voula, I just tried to get on with work, but all day I stressed about it. It wasn’t hard to, as every time I got up it hurt. I stressed that I had really done some damage to my hip. And if I had, what did that mean? Was I just delaying seeking medical advice, consequently making it worse? Or was I stressing over nothing, and it would get better in the next few days? I didn’t know? 

So, to cheer myself up, I decided to talk shit about the conservatives, always a source of comfort. 


Do you think Julie BitchUp tucks? Do you think in the room full of men in the UN Security Council in New York the men could smell her shame? (That’s her heartless conservatism and not her cunt, you understand)

Do you think that One Term Tony wears his red budgies under his suit to make himself feel pretty? Do you think he has JO’d in his office yet into his speedos?

Do you think he admires his daughters?

“A couple a fit girl with nice boozies. Aahggg,” He practically says about his daughters? What is it with conservative men and their daughters? 

I can imagine One Term Tony with Margie. “Brace yourself, Margie, here comes your iron man. 

“Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa...”


I had been thinking about heading to St Vincent’s when I got home to get an x-ray. I contemplated going to see Doctor Jimmy, but he would only send me to a pathology centre to have an x ray. That would mean driving to see him and then if the last time for my toes was anything to go by, driving to Carlton. All of that would take a few hours, so I might as well just go to emergency and have it all done there.

Andrew called just as I got home. He said that I should go to the doctor.

When Sam got home not long after, I asked him if he’d come to emergency with me and he said he would. We put on our jackets and left. The Gertrude Street Projection Festival was in full swing, so there was plenty of interesting things to look at as we made our way up Gertrude Street.

We got served at the triage counter straight away. They said we would be taken in soon. And we were taken in soon. We sat in the clinic with two other guys and a girl, who all seemed to have problems with their feet that needed x-ray.

A medical assistant saw us first. She took all the details and asked to look at my hip. It was kind of feeling better by bow, probably thanks to the Nurofen every four hours, and there was no bruise and seemingly little swelling. The medical assistant said she wasn’t going to order an x-ray straight away, but she would wait for the doctor to see what he thought. 

I wondered if I was wasting everyone’s time.

Not too long after the blonde doctor, Craig, turned up and he asked me questions and looked at my hip. He said that the area that I indicated was an important part of the hip and the part where everything joined up, so he did want to have it x-rayed.

Not too long after I was taken to the x-ray room where Winston and a woman whose name I didn’t catch said they were just reading about my mishap. I was wondering if they were laughing. I wouldn’t have cared if they were, it is good to see the funny side. I had to remove my jeans and put on a gown. The x-ray was over quickly.

Not so long after, blonde doctor Craig told me everything was okay, all clear.

It had taken just over two hours and it seemed very easy.


We walked back down the cold and windy Gertrude Street. There were lots of people in the street gazing at the projections.

We ate fried rice for dinner.


No comments: