The last day of the week for me at Food Farmers Direct way out in the suburbs.
I came home today and the Golden Elm in Gordon’s old garden was gone. Our four terrace houses are open at the backs of our yards with gates, for when we were all friends and used to walk between each house. Frank and Heidi, the old Jewish hippies next door to me sold first, and now Gordon who owned the other two houses has sold up. So, from where I park my car out the back, I could see through the four back yards
It was completely gone. Chopped down and cleared away. Gordon’s amazing garden has been destroyed. It looks desolate. I was in shock as I got out of the car.
One of the gay guys, who I would eventually learn is Brad, (who I would eventually like. Blond and balding and blokey, shockingly, I’d eventually kind of fancy him) was standing in the back yard, I presume, inspecting the job that had been done chopping the tree down.
“OMG! You have chopped the tree down.”
“Yes, it was right on the fence line and we couldn’t construct a fence.”
Gordon owned both houses and the two gardens have been one garden without a fence for decades.
“What?” I was incredulous. The tree was an amazing tree.
“We had to construct a fence.”
“You couldn’t have built the fence around the tree?”
“Well, no, not easily.”
“It was an amazingly beautiful tree.”
“We had permits to cut it down.”
“Oh, I am sure you did,” I said. “But why would you?”
“As I said…”
“Yes, I know!” I shook my head. “What have you done.” I turned and walked into my house.
It was shocking to suddenly being confronted by the most beautiful tree in the area, suddenly gone. It was the first time he and I spoke. Afterwards, I wondered what he thought? Whatever? I’m glad he got the message that people wouldn’t be pleased about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment