Sunday, January 28, 2024

In Bunnings With The Bulldogs

It's a gorgeous Sunday, the sun is shining, the sky is blue. We walk to the shops, bulldogs on leads, recycle shopping bags over our shoulders.


I’m in Bunnings with the two Bulldogs. 

Sam goes to look at shower screens, to update his rental bathroom. 

Bruno, Otto and I go and look at plant pots, I’ve got two Japanese Maples I have been keeping alive in pots for quite a few years. After we’d looked at the pots, Bruno and Otto and I head to the plant section just to browse and pass time until Sam is done. 

When we get close to the back door leading out to the outside section, there is a fat Asian kid (Oh, all twelve'ish, thirteen'ish year olds are shapeless rectangular blobs of flesh, before you get all squeamish about my characterisation) in a yellow smiley face t-shirt, his equally blobbish younger brother was in a matching shirt, with a frog clicker. He realises that he gets Bruno’s attention when he clicks the frog noise, so he keeps clicking it. 

He stands at the end of the isle with a smug look on his face.

I’m trying to get Bruno out the back door into the gardening section and the kid keeps clicking the damn frog noise making Bruno turn around repeatedly and head in the wrong direction. Remember, I have two bulldogs on leads. As soon as I get Bruno to do what I want, the kid clicks the clicker again.

There is a dog-leg in the aisle right there, and people just naturally gather and bank up, and with Bruno blocking the isle they bank up even more, as I’m trying to get Bruno to move. The kid continually clicks the frog noise, Bruno continually resists going out the door, more and more people bank up, and I really want to slap this kid's smug face so badly.


But, then, I can't be wanting-to-slap-his-face too much because I have two beautiful dogs and I can help but admire, just a little, him wanting to play with one of them, have fun with one of them, you know, once I got the two of them out of that bottle-neck of people in that isle of Bunnings.

I like playing with them too. What can I say? In a calmer moment, it's funny. Chuckle.


We bought groceries and walked home with multiple reusable shopping bags over each shoulder in the sun shining down.


No comments: