Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday Morning

5:55am. I leave the house. It’s still kind of dark, even if the sky is just starting to turn blue. It’s crisp, nice, I like it. I’m daring to wear a T-shirt today for the first time, but I’ve seen Jason Jones and the Irish guy wear T-shirts too, so fuck it why not. It’s comfortable.


I’m walking up Gertrude Street, the only people around are gym boys going to the 24 hour gym and Indian cleaners cleaning all the businesses this time of morning.

I walk up the middle of Gertrude Street nonchalantly. Not a care. It’s clear in each direction.

5.58am. A tram comes up Brunswick Street. I have to run a bit to make sure I catch it. I get my Myki card out just in case. I’m sweating from the small amount of exertion I’ve just applied. Grrrr. It’s a bit humid, so I was just naturally a little sweaty anyway. I hate it that I sweat with such ease. I get out my trusty Barack and Michelle Obama postcard fan I keep in the pocket of my satchel. I don’t care what people think. Fuck them all. 

There is a handsome guy with a backpack the straps for which across his chest look like a bulletproof vest. It makes him look hot.

6.09am. We’re at William Street.

I’m going to be at work even earlier than last fortnight.

I’m still sweating.

6:10 am. Oh thank God, do you like how I use that ironically, I’m out in the fresh air of the morning and it feels good. Some loon comes across Collins Street, rapping loudly as I cross William Street. Don’t give up your day job, buddy. Chuckle, like he’s got a day job.

What am I doing here so early? I’m an idiot. Is it because I’m getting up at 5am instead of 5:30am? I guess it has to be. I should review that change. I could have got up an hour later.

6:13am. I’m in the lift.

I make coffee.

I’m listening to Adele’s 25.

7am. I make more coffee. The day is light outside.

Listening to Adele, somehow makes me think about me dying and Sam living on his own, and Mark dying, and I can’t see to work with the tears in my eyes. Funny the things you think.

Who thought I’d end up here? I think to myself, as I get a tissue and wipe my eyes.

Ah, that Adele, what a trip. Her voice is gorgeous, as are her lyrics.

Monday morning.

Eventually, everyone came in, of course.

And I had to share my morning with them.

It was kind of a shame.


No comments: