Monday, January 19, 2004

The Best Me is Now

The best me is now, I'm sorry for what has been.


This should be the part of the story where the good guy comes, sparkle in his eye, a brave smile, knowing what he wants and how to get it, and steals my heart away. It's ready now, I'm ready to meet him. Where is he... now? I've been waiting a long time.

I'm standing tall and straight, eyes open wide, I know exactly what to say. I'd know him now, I'd be brave. I am all of those things, I'm the best man I've ever been. Working straight out of the box, so he would find out. I don't need any more training, just some loving. I'd fall into his arms, I wouldn't run away.

The soft piano music would play, there would be angels and we could both laugh, holding each other's hands, as we chased them away. I wouldn't let go, if he promised not to too. But no promises there wouldn't be any need for those, redundant they'd be, as rules of how to play. We'd know them all ready. They'd be given, easy as the wind on the ocean and the twilight in the sky.

Fingers together. Eyes locked on eyes. If we felt like it we'd cry. Tears of joy, for fear of touching because we'd never let go.


Who are you, come out and play. Show me. I'm good enough, to be the best me. What are you doing? What would you say? I'll close my eyes and do what I'm doing and when I look up to see that group pass by, that man laugh, that child cry, I'll look the other way and you'll be there.


No comments: