Sunday, March 25, 2007

Weekend Away


It was hot Friday night, too hot in the house for sleep. So, I decided to go to the country. I stopped over to Manny's, on my way, and sweated all over him. His place was hot, so he put on a fan and we stripped off. I could spend many hours on his lips - thanks to the beauty of those Greek woman who stepped onto the boat with their beautiful husbands. Give praise for their sons.
Then it was up the highway with the windows open until I felt the city blow right out of me, with the approach of the cool, country night air. Our home road off the highway is such fun to drive fast along, especially at night with the gums waving over-head, in the very edge of the head lights, kind of gothic. The road winds and it dips and it curves, as it snakes it way through open paddocks and vineyards.



Friday night, I was so stoned, when I was coming back from the car with a bag in each hand, way after midnight, I miss judged where the path ended and I walked straight into the garden and fell straight over. I landed on my thumb and the bags, fortunately there was no damage, laughing. It all happened so quick, like slapstick. I lay on the ground laughing, looking up at, well, nothing really, it was pitch black.
The following days weren't quite so eventful, just lazing away. Saturday it rain, so we huddled in the doorways and watched it fall, pitter pat. The dry ground drank it up. It fell on the half-empty lake in big, sploshing drops. We wanted it to rain all weekend, but Sunday was sunny. Ah well.
Mark and Luke are happy again, which is great. I like it being the three of us, it's like a team. I'd be profoundly sad if they split and Luke left.
We cooked, we ate, we smoked pot, we laughed. Lovely. The hot, selfish city seems a life time away when I'm surrounded by bush, by nature... by those I love.


Now Missy is curled up on my foot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...please tell me that is a self portrait!!

FletcherBeaver said...

Ah... no it's not.