Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Mean While, Back at the Home

Lillian

I told you he was a manky old mank!

Yes, yes you did.

"How many days has it been…"

"Since the email?"

"Yes… since the email."

"I believe it has been four days…"

"With a weekend. Don’t forget the weekend."

"Not that he works much now. One day a week, I do believe."

"Chardonnay swilling, touchy feely club. Over qualified and under achieving."

"University is not just for the bright kids any more."

"Scone?"

"Don’t mind if I do."

"Tea?"

"Oh, I shouldn’t, but perhaps just one more."

"Something to read?"


Amy clutches her pearls. The tea cup rattles in the saucer in Lillian’s hand. Amy audibly shivers. They turn silently to face the computer, like they had suddenly become more feline and had just spotted their prey. Lips of string. Eyes like slits. Amy Clutches her throat. Lillian is eerily still, tea cup in hand.

You could have heard a pin drop.


"He’s a mank!"

"Of the worst kind," said Lillian. She handed Amy the cup. "That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!"

(Guttural chuckle. Amy has three chins, rather than just the double) I guess there would be no chance of any one thinking he was sweet.

"Sugar? No!" (She makes sucking kissing sounds)

"Two."

"Shall I mull or should you?"

"Oh you Lillian, you." Amy gazes at the bay window. "I see him with a foreskin fungus… something that itches constantly. Can’t get rid of it."

"If he had a foreskin at all," they carol together.

"Like that’s a surprise. Jam?" asks Edit.

"No surprise here. Yes."

"Cream?"

"Don’t mind if I do." Amy chuckles. "Remember, when it was always the cream, when we always got the cream?"

"Oh I do," says Lillian. "I do."

"Tea."

"Lovely.

"Come on Aim," booms the nurse's voice. "Drink up." She puts the beaker to Amy's mouth."

"Come on Lillian." The nurse straightens Lillian in her chair before Lillian gets a chance to move.

"Do you think there are more lesbian's amongst this crop of nurses?" asks Lillian.

"I do Lillian, I do," said Amy. "There are some big strapping girl's amongst them."

"If I was 40 years younger." Lillian makes a deep, guttural longing sound from deep in her throat, as she watches one of the younger nurses pass by.

Amy laughs. "Only 40 years younger, dear?"

No comments: