Monday, October 27, 2014

Lot's of Rain




There was a huge storm over night. I slept through all of it. 

Sam eventually woke me and said, “There is a thunder storm.”

I said, “Melbourne.” I thought I was being kind of funny in my half awake state. 

“Melbourne what?” said Sam.

“Melbourne Storm,” I said.

Apparently, Sam wasn’t up for the rugby refence, I could see in the blank face that met my joke.

Apparently, the lighting was fierce, lighting up the room, and the thunder was loud.

Sam said he was going to get Buddy. That was the only thing I remembered.

I remember I replied, “If you want to.”

So, Buddy slept with us from about 2am. It’s always lovely when Bud sleeps with us, that is if you don’t try and move him in the night, as he will growl at you in the dark for being moved, which is always disconcerting.


It was pouring with rain at 7am. It was pelting down.

I had trouble crossing Victoria Parade as it was a ten foot river (wide, not deep, you understand) running down the road down the hill to Abbottsford. I had no choice but to tip toe through the running water wetting my shoes and socks. It was a little disconcerting as the road was so universally covered with water that you couldn’t really see it until you stepped into it and it dammed up around your shoes. Great way to start a Monday, yeah, sure.

I had waited until 8.30am to head to the office so I wouldn’t be standing out in the rain waiting for someone to let me in.

I wasn’t anticipating sitting there with Kerin peeling my shoes and socks off because they were wet. I never anticipated taking any of my clothes off in front of Kirin and Kerin, weirdly, that is how it made me feel, kind of exposed.

Kirin said there was a pair of socks in the lost and found, not really sure why she knew that, so I went and fished them out and put them on. They were black and it was at least less noticeable than bare feet. 

Kerin told me she thought I had nice feet, which I wasn’t expecting either. I’m not sure about the beauty of feet exactly, and it made me think of all those boys with foot fetishes. Some boys really get off on them, the messages I have received about showing my feet. Sheesh! It's like a secret I haven't been let in on.


It rained, and the sun shone, and it rained, and the sun shone. It was hot when the sun was out and it was cold when it rained. It was crazy kind of weather.

I left at 4.30pm, fortunately, we were in non rain cycle, and as I had so little distance to go, I made it home without getting wet. My shoes had more, or less, dried out by then. There was very little squelching. 


We ate tacos for dinner. The fatty mince we bought from the Preston Market proved to be exactly that. After we cooked it up for the tacos, I poured the excess oil off it into the dirty lasagne dish, and a huge pool of orange fat joined the pool of solidified orange fat already in the lasagne dish from the lasagne.

I was drifting off to sleep on the couch as we watched The Big Bang Theory so, of course, Sam declared it was time to head to bed to watch Q&A in bed.

I messaged Jeff to say that we were 90% sure that we’d go to his BBQ on Cup Day. Weirdly, I pictured him in a Melbourne Storm outfit, as I text him. His muscular legs and his beefy arse in those dark blue shorts cooking sausages in his back yard. My mind wanders back to the times I’d 'cooked his sausage.' I shake my head at the thought. 

I laughed to myself about that time after Mardi Gras, or Sleaze, at Tom’s place in Darlinghurst when I found myself alone in the lounge room tripping with the rugby playing and I was thinking these men are absolute gods. OMG! Why have I never noticed before! Ha ha, good times.


No comments: