It was the annual visit to North Melbourne to see Sam’s accountant for him to get his tax done. I have to drive him as, you know, he doesn’t drive. The great unsung heroes of the non-drivers, the drivers. I seriously don’t think the non-drivers give the drivers the credit they deserve. We had to be there by 7pm, but she is always late. She was only ten minutes late today, so she was practically on time.
Buddy and I went for a walk, as per usual, while Sam consults. We walked down Queensberry Street to the end, to Munster Terrace and beyond. It’s a nice walk, you know, if you have to hang around waiting for your boyfriend, that is. We walked around the fine old buildings and I took photos of the lovely architecture as the sun set. They didn’t come out as well as I’d hopped, I should have used a longer shutter speed.
We met a timid poodle with its owners. If I said the owners were kind of timid, I’m guessing you’d question how I could tell with such a brief meeting, but I felt that’s where the dog got it from.
We met a cute father with his toddler. He said it was nice to meet us, Buddy and me. I thought the same thing, possibly for different reasons to him.
Buddy lay down in the middle of the road and wouldn’t move on the way back to the office of course he did, he is famous for that.
And we walked back to the office door. We stood around and waited, before we headed off in the other direction. Queensberry Street turned into a ghost town, with just Buddy and I treading the footpath. It was relaxing, despite my mild complaining earlier. It’s nice just to slow down and for it just to be you, and your dog, out in the elements – oh, yeah, such tricky elements, I grant you – just the fresh night air, and some interesting urban architecture, and nothing much else to think about other than putting one foot in front of the other, for a time. It’s kind of exhilarating, just you and nothing much else about which to be concerned.
We walked back.
Waiting, waiting, we waited around some more. We twiddled our fingers and our paws, as the wait started to feel perhaps longer than the catharsis it was providing.
Eventually, Sam reappeared. We jumped in the car and headed off to buy dinner on our way home. Something delicious. Sushi in Errol Street.
We even managed to catch the North Melbourn IGA for some groceries. Sam was pleased about that. He’s always pleased to get groceries out of the way. You know, back to the non-driving issue, so when I am driving him home, he wants to utilise the car to its fullest extent.
We were home before 10pm, just enough time to eat our take away.
The Oscar Pistorius Trial entered its sentencing phase. Defence witnesses testified that sending the double-amputee athlete to prison would "break" him and that traditional correctional facilities were unsuited for his physical and psychological needs following his culpable homicide conviction. He is too handsome to go jail. He may get house detention for his crimes.
A tragic blizzard and avalanche sequence struck the Annapurna region of the Nepalese Himalayas, killing 43 people
Author Richard Flanagan won the Man Booker Prize for The Narrow Road to the Deep North.
The UK Parliament held a symbolic vote recognizing Palestine as a state.
The World Health Organization reported that the Ebola virus death toll had surpassed 4,400 during the West African epidemic.
No comments:
Post a Comment